Skip to main content

Some News

In the spirit of ripping band aids off, jumping into the unknown and proving to myself that I can do things I never thought I could, I have some BIG news.

As of January 2017, Brucey and I will be residents of Denver-ish, Colorado. 




I say "ish" because I'm still working out those details.

A few months ago, I got a random text from a friend who I used to work with telling me that he recommended me to his boss as a potential manager for a shop out there. I took exactly 0% of that text conversation seriously. I also took the next few months of back and forth communication with a grain of salt. The internal thought process went a bit like this (bonus points if you can read it REALLY fast because that's how it would roll through my head):

"There's no way I'd move. That's just too much. I can't leave. I know I said I would, but let's get real...I'm a baby. Why in the hell would a bike shop owner want me to help him run his shop? I'm good here. This guy is gonna meet me and laugh in my face and then it'll be over and I can go back to being a Georgia peach. I can't leave my people. I love it here. There's no way. It can't happen. Nope. Not happening. RIGHT?" 

Well, it's happening. I've accepted a great offer with a great shop in Golden, Colorado. 

Google Golden. It doesn't suck. 

It's going to be a total change of pace, a massive change in the type of bike I'm used to selling and a rather large culture change. It's also going to be a bit lonely, I'm sure. I know exactly one person out there. As scary as all of that is for a girl who hates change and making big life decisions, I'm excited and I'm ready for it all!

I've had a bunch of people tell me that they're jealous...and I would be, too! It IS Colorado after all! Go ahead and be a little envious. I just ask you to remember that the path that got me there...the one that led me to leave my Georgia home was full of pain and hard decisions mixed with more courage than I thought I had.

If you use the analogy that our lives are like novels filled with chapter after chapter of experience, then the two chapters I'm in the middle of are my absolute favorite, thus far. The one I'm closing is 13 years in the Peach State where I, for the first time in my life, got to establish some roots. It's one filled with the most influential people I know along with some equally beautiful and difficult experiences...it's the first chapter of my adult life, really.

Then there's that next chapter which is yet to be written. All I know for now is that it starts with a girl and a dog in a Uhaul mixed with a lot of excitement and some tears.

Let the Goodbye Tour of 2016 begin!

Comments

  1. Not goodbye, well not to us at least, it's see you later! I'm so excited for you, a bit jealous (not of the journey that got you there) and just a tad sad as you'll be more than a 3hr ride away. It'll be great, you'll adjust and be terrific, and I'm cong to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Share away!

Buzz kill? Keep on moving!

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye.

 “I don’t know if I should congratulate you or console you.” - Craig “How about both?” - Me This was a conversation in our kitchen earlier this week. After a year and a half of weekly therapy, I had my last session with my therapist Tuesday. Not because I was over it or because it wasn’t working or because he retired. Nope. Because we got to a place where we could both say I’ve got the tools I need to move on. I have to say that there is no timeline for therapy and every situation is unique. I moved on from intensive therapy with my therapist because that it was worked for ME. I am certainly no expert and I have a feeling this isn’t the end of my therapy forever, but I do know that my experience with the right person allowed me to heal in ways I literally never thought possible. And it gave me the experience of a healthy “goodbye”. I was never prepared for that, so when we set an end date (not-so-coincidentally my Nanna’s birthday), it was hard to process. No one talks about

November 19th

There's apparently something about November 19th and changes in my life... 2 years ago: moving out of the ex's house 1 year ago: announcing that I was making the big move to beautiful Colorado Today: planning my next big adventure! After 2 years of major life changes and constant adjustment, I'm finally feeling like a settled human being. So, I've decided that 2018 is going to be the year I push myself physically and mentally. 2 half marathons are on the schedule along with the most exciting part: a multi day bike adventure with an assisted athlete here in Colorado in support of The Kyle Pease Foundation !!  I've learned enough about myself that I will not agree to push myself hard physically for any length of time unless there is another person who is behind the WHY. Doing this in partnership with another athlete who necessarily wouldn't be able to otherwise, is enough to get my ass off my couch and get it done! Details are still being worke

Patsy.

A friend sent this video to me and when I watched it, I was struck more by the feelings it brought up around the content than the story itself.  Christen Reighter's story is an interesting and frustrating insight into what it means to NOT want a child. I invite you to watch this. Her experience is not unique and needs to be talked about. Even if you have kids. Or want them. What struck me most was what she says during her TedTalk: "I have believed having children was an extension of womanhood, not the definition." Truth is, I've been struggling with this lately. Not the fact that I'm longing for children. I'd be fibbing if I said there is a very tiny part of me that wonders what this will feel like when I get to the end of life. HOWEVER. That feeling isn't strong enough for me to want to find out. I don't feel like having children should be thought of as a "keeping the fingers crossed" kind of situation. If you aren't sure you'l